Fleet Selection Reference Guide:
Here you can find a general description of each of the three basic unit types.
* * * * * * *
- As small ships cannot move through the warp themselves, your fleet must include enough capital ships to carry all your small ships.
- Frigates also need the support of a capital ship for long voyages, and hence your fleet must also include enough capital ships to support all your frigates.
- The likelihood of a weapon hitting its target depends on two things: the base accuracy of the weapon being fired, and the speed of the unit being fired at.
* * * * * * *
Small ships have a wider variety of choice than the other unit types. Equipped correctly, small ships are able to take on any other group type - lasers and missiles can destroy small ships and frigates, whilst torpedos can destroy capital ships.
However, they can only be equipped with a small proportion of their available equipment at once, and even when equipped with maximum shields and armour are still very vulnerable to attacks from all other group types.
- 3 units per group
- if a small ship group has small lasers, and if their movement target is an enemy group and that group is within smallrange, the group will automatically fire their twin lasers at their movement target.
- a small ship group doesn't specify a target in their AI script for firing their big weapons, be they missiles or torpedos. If ordered to fire missiles or torpedos, their target is automatically the same as their movement target. If their movement target is an invalid fire target for their weapon (e.g. they are ordered to fire torpedos when moving towards a frigate group, or they are ordered to fire whilst moving towards a compass direction) they will simply ignore the order.
- can be equipped with either missiles or torpedos. Missiles are very good at destroying frigates and other small ships, whilst torpedos are very good at destroying capital ships. Torpedos may not be fired at anything other than capital ships.
- small ships equipped with torpedos suffer a 25% movement penalty (meaning a ship with ultra engines and torpedos is a tiny bit slower than a ship with improved engines but no torpedos)
Available weapons: Twin lasers, missiles, torpedos.
* * * * * * *
Frigates are much stronger than small ships, both in terms of firepower and the amount of damage they can sustain.
However, they are both much more expensive and much slower than small ships.
- 1 unit per group.
- automatically fire small lasers (if they are equipped) at any enemy groups within range.
- no limit on how much they can do at once - they can move, whilst also firing their small lasers at some units, whilst also firing a big laser at another target
- can be equipped with a single large laser in addition to or instead of a a complement of 2 small laser turrets.
Available weapons: Can have 2 small laser turrets (which can be either weaker twin lasers or stronger single lasers). Frigates can also optionally have one big laser, instead of or in addition to small lasers.
* * * * * * *
Without capital ships your small ship groups would never be able to make it to the battle, yet once battle has started small ships must return the favour and more. Capital ships are large, slow and expensive. Should all your capital ships be destroyed, the battle is lost.
Capital ships are not as player customisable as the other unit types. There are three ready made capital ship types - light, medium and heavy - from which you can choose. Beyond this, the only options are what sort of small lasers you equip them with, which AI script (if any) they are assigned, and the name you give them.
- A single unit per group.
- though capital ships can move during a battle, they are very slow.
- if equipped, a capital ship's complement of small lasers will fire automatically at any enemy targets within range.
The available types of capital ships are:
Number of laser turrets
Number of small ship groups held
Number of frigates supported
|Light capital ship
|Medium capital ship
|Heavy capital ship
Larger capital ships also cost more points, and have more armour.